So this afternoon I was picking up some groceries, and there in the produce section were a pile of overrripe bananas. Must be the universe telling me that today is banana bread day!
I found this recipe and went from there. Here’s my version which is so insanely good i had to share it.
- 1 & 1/2 Cups of Flour (Any combo of all-purp & whole wheat will do)
- 1/2 Cup Wheat Germ (Could split or sub Flax Meal)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Coconut (optional)
- 1/4 Cup Oil (I used Grapeseed oil)
- 1/2 Cup Honey (This is what the original recipe calls for but I subbed 1/4 cup of that for Brown sugar as honey is expensive and precious to me)
- 3 Very ripe mashed bananes
- 1/4 Cup chocolate chips (If you feel like being decadent. I did!)
- 1/4 Cup nuts (I used Walnuts, broken into smaller pieces)
- 1/4 to 1/3 Cup Almond milk (Or soy, rice, etc)
Preheat oven to 375F. Combine all dry ingreds in large bowl. Mash up bananes. Dump into dry stuff. Measure out oil and pour in, then honey from the same measuring cup so it slides out nice and easy. Mix wet/dry until evenly combined. I added some soymilk at this point as the consistency was a little too thick. I probably used about a third of a cup. This is just to balance out the fact that I substituted part of the honey (wet) for brown sugar (dry) and I added coconut (dry) to the original recipe.
Add your desired amounts of nuts & chocolate chips, mix gently.
Pour/spoon mixture into greazed bread pan (I suggest splitting the batter into two pans to reduce baking time and help it to bake more evenly. I baked mine as one loaf and it took about 45 mins in the oven! And the middle is slightly gooey). Split into two loaves it should only take about 20 mins in the oven.
And there you have it, my amazingly rough sketch of how I just made the best banana bread of life! (Except Cody’s banana bread, which is just unbeatable). Throw some earth balance on that shiz and pour yrself a glass of almond milk and you’ve got pure bliss.